Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Dachshund Weight Chart

This is a great resource for dachshund owners because it shows (crude) drawings of what fatty dachshunds look like, and it compares too thin, too fat, and on-the-way-to-fat dachshund pics

http://www.nonprofitnw.org/drnw/id47.html

Poor Mr. B is like a final step pic in the "getting fat" chart. Rigby is a step two!
    Tracy, Mr. Butters, Rigby, Ariana Marie & Isabella Charlotte

Thanks

My 2 Need to go on Diets!!!!!!

Thanks for the link Tracy!

Thanks

I have Jack Sprat and his wife - too bad they are both males. Hershey could definitely stand to gain a pound or so - he looks sooo skinny - Oscar could easily give up a pound or two. He is getting fatter and fatter - I have him on a strict diet - one treat per day - cut his food way back - eagle eye that he isn't stelaing others food as he was doing before - now I just need to get his activity level up. Excellent charts!
    Sandi
    Sandi aka Mama S aka keeper of da herd and da Popsicle flavor list AND Nana to Sean, Mykaylyn, Emma, Baylee, Eli, and Bryce and Mama to da brat, da boy and Brooke!

Thanks

Tracy for posting that very informative chart and feeding schedule. I'm happy to report Trixie is just right according to the drawings and I feed her 3/4 cup or less per day. :cheer2:
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Great find, Tracy!

Charlie was a little too skinny, and the vet said what that site said: he'd rather Charlie be too skinny than too fat. I think he was worried about us trying to get him to gain weight and end up going overboard.
    We feed him 1/3 of a cup twice a day, and we started to just mound the serving rather than shaking the excess off (make sense?). He's gained an ounce or two and looks great now.

Anyway, it's hard to deny those "I'm starving!" eyes, but thanks for reminding us how important it is!
    Helen and Charlie
    Please be his pup pal!

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Thanks

Nice link, thanks for posting it.

My crew go from Just right, overweight to skinny. Just depends on the pupper.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Most of mine are just right, except for Cash who is a little pudgy and could stand to lose a few lbs.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Thanks! I've had a hard time telling with Teenie. Doxies are so different from other dogs. I thought she was just about right, and it looks like I'm right, from their guidelines. I might let her lose a smidge more (I like mine a teensy bit on the thin side, for joint health). She has a limp that we haven't figured out. I think a little less weight might be good for her. She sure is lookin good, though!

Thanks

Thanks for posting that! I try to keep mine on the thin side cuz of doing agility but it seems hard to tell esp. with the long hairs. Owen gains weight SO fast it seems. Of course he sneaks out the cat dorr sometimes into the garage to eat cat food. I don't know what to do about it....:confused:
    He's always so ashamed when he comes back or I catch him so I'm thinking...if you are so ashamed why do it owen??????????????

Amy, Laika, and Owen
    Last edited by areese; 02-11-2006 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks

Yea!!! Pippit is the ideal weight(at least ONE of us is)

Mom to Dachshunds: Pippit, IzzyBean and Calli