Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cataracts

Thanks

Default Cataracts

Do cataracts mean eventual blindness? I just found out that my new adoptee Karma has cataracts. I didn't know before. Hapily, thus far Kara and Jack have gotten along amazingly well.
    Iris (Jack's Mom, valet and cook)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Sadly, yes. But that eventually may take a LONG time!!! Alex started with cataracts when she was about 11, but still had some vision when she crossed at 15. Wen came with pretty bad cataracts and they've gotten a lot worse over the last couple of years. Jules' sight has diminished a fair bit in the last couple of months. James is good

What I've found with them is that things chug along for a while, then you'll notice that their sight has diminished a bit, then it plateaus out then dips and so on and so on. They adapt pretty well though. (And it is possible to get surgery on them...remember Laura's Wheezer?)
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Lisa has had good luck with Bilberry and vitamin E (I think) in treating Pogo's cataracts. They are both good support for eye problems and can slow or even reverse some damage.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

As Paula said, sadly yes they do eventually.
    However, if they are new and small they can be surgically removed.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

I never realized Pogo has cataracts. I'll ask her about it. As always you guys have been great. I took a pic of Karma, she so tiny compared to the portly Jack. She put him in his place in about ten minutes. No problems!
    Iris (Jack's Mom, valet and cook)

Thanks

I am so happy she is finally with you.

Now we need lots of pictures.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

I think Pogo has something different...
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Pogo had fat deposits on his eyes, as well he does have something else that the vet told us, and I totally can't remember.

We have started him on 1/4 of a bilberry caplet 2 x per day and 1 x 100 IU of vitamin E daily. We also make sure they get pumpkin (vitamin A) or liver (also Vitamin A) daily.

For cataracts, if they are new / small, you can get drops from the vet, so it will be worth a visit. And they can reverse them depending on the size.

Finally, I would have a full blood panel run on her. Cataracts can be caused either from diabetes or steroid use. I would want to rule out diabetes.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

These were Pogo's eyes before (this was not as bad as they got) and this is him as a work in progress about 6 weeks after starting the bilberry and vitamin E.

WIP

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

[QUOTE=Lisa;429872]Pogo had fat deposits on his eyes, as well he does have something else that the vet told us, and I totally can't remember.

We have started him on 1/4 of a bilberry caplet 2 x per day and 1 x 100 IU of vitamin E daily. We also make sure they get pumpkin (vitamin A) or liver (also Vitamin A) daily. =QUOTE]

Last month when I took Lulu in for her annual shots the vet mentioned that she has fat deposits on one of her eyes... he said he checkied her eyes carefully and there was no pain or noticable lost of vision at this time, but he told me to watch her eye.... I would like to go ahead and try the vitamin A & bilberry on her, what is the mg of the bilberry caplet that you are using?
    Ann-Marie and Lulu
    Shelby , Yogi , Sophie & Lucy

Saving just one dog won't change the world...but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    Unknown