Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks

My vet just called. I didn't think she would as they closed at 3pm today and its almost 8..she is still there! All Theo's blood work came back perfect!! Everything is in the normal range!!!! You don't know how happy I am right now!! Just one thing, when we talked about getting the blood work done, they said to do this particular test which tests everything, liver, kidneys, proteins, calcium levels, thyroid, the whole package..BUT it did not check the pancreas which I thought it did, she said it was a different test but since the lab had his blood and that they keep it for one week we could call Monday and have it done for another $56 dollars. I don't know why they didn't tell me in the first place. So I am wondering if I should have that checked too? She says if he continues to vomit, which he hasn't that we should do it. Also, she told me that the D/D they eat is high in fat and to keep him on the I/D indefinitely. This is going to be expensive, having two dogs eating different food lol..what can I do. I do think it is a food issue as many of you said, he has had this before and has always eaten the D/D. Thank you all so much for the positive thoughts and all the input. I appreciate it very much! I am so happy with the results of the tests.

So just to add this: I've thought about it and I'll have them test for the pancreas too, might as well do it now while they still have the blood sample. It will only be another $56..if I do it another time it will cost over $100 for another sample to be drawn so I'll do it now, can't hurt.
    Last edited by Kasianni; 05-09-2015 at 10:10 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kasianni For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What terrific news! I couldn't be happier for you! I don't think I would have that other test done unless he has more vomiting, but it 's easy to say that when it's not your dog. I'm glad our rayz helped!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LexieLuvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There is regular I/D and then there is I/D Low Fat. That's what Sebastian is on now for his pancreatitis. Which one she wants him to be on?
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alfina View Post
    There is regular I/D and then there is I/D Low Fat. That's what Sebastian is on now for his pancreatitis. Which one she wants him to be on?
    I asked her which one he should be on, and she said the regular I/D is fine for now but I'll have the additional testing done for the pancreas on Monday and see what the vet says then.

Thanks

Very good news! Peace of mind for you. More just for insurance.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SaxLady For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Theo's having issues again with his stool...yesterday and today, almost normal stools but with mucus and blood in it again!! I am so sick of worrying about what's going on. He vomited again too about 10 days ago. I know dogs vomit occasionally but all these things are linked together and I've no idea what is going on!! I've called my vet so many times now I can't count. Even though his blood tests came back normal and no parasites in his stool, they said today that the next step is to try a de-wormer?? Well, Theo was crated since January for 8+ weeks, and he's been using the pee pads for business, he hasn't come in contact with any other dogs, except at the groomers but they don't even put him on the floor he goes from my arms to the table, gets the nails cut and back to me..I don't see how its possible he has parasites?? I haven't had a break since January with his back and then all this trouble with his tummy. Any advice, anyone go through this?? I don't know what to do. I'm freaked out because I can't keep bringing him to the vet, my savings are gone, I am not working, I have to bring Mika to the vets to check out the bump she has near the arm pit, I don't know what to do!! So frustrated with all this...would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks

A great dewormer is "Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth", but make SURE it's labeled as "FOOD GRADE". Stay AWAY from NON-food grade. About 1 tsp daily, sprinkled on food. It's cheap and effective. A huge 4# bag is only $12 from Home Depot, Walmart, Lowes, grocery-stores, etc. It's a natural product, and it works great for humans too.
    http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/di...ous_earth.html

Also, since many of Theo's problems are GI related, you might want to consider a trial run of feeding raw meat? Plain meat from human grocery store. Say, 3 months, to see if the GI problems disappear? Yes, really. Raw (NOT cooked, NOT ground) red meat is their natural diet, and easiest for them to digest. Not man-made kibble. You may be surprised at the results. And if it solves your problems, you'll save $1000's on vet bills. Yes, it works, I'm not kidding. You can always switch back to kibble, later (but I doubt you would, once you see it works). A mini eats 6 oz meat per day, about the size of a hockey puck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

I'd be careful about giving raw meat when there's already GI issues. If you do want to do a homemade food (which might be best, Kasia), then I'd at least start out with a cooked one (rice and shredded chicken or turkey works great....it's what Alex ate for a number of years). Also, some types of parasite take a long time to show up (giardia for example) and can certainly cause this type of problem. I'd ask what the wormer they're giving you is for specifically, and how hard it is on his system. REALLY think you need to get the bloody diarrhea under control before giving him wormers.

I know you have no money, but honest to god, I'd be tempted to ask for a referral to Ste-Hyacinthe, or at least give them a call and see if they have any ideas. GI issues can be SO hard to clear up...I lived with them with Alex for years.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom View Post
    I'd be careful about giving raw meat when there's already GI issues. If you do want to do a homemade food (which might be best, Kasia), then I'd at least start out with a cooked one (rice and shredded chicken or turkey works great....it's what Alex ate for a number of years). Also, some types of parasite take a long time to show up (giardia for example) and can certainly cause this type of problem. I'd ask what the wormer they're giving you is for specifically, and how hard it is on his system. REALLY think you need to get the bloody diarrhea under control before giving him wormers.

I know you have no money, but honest to god, I'd be tempted to ask for a referral to Ste-Hyacinthe, or at least give them a call and see if they have any ideas. GI issues can be SO hard to clear up...I lived with them with Alex for years.
    Yes I don't think with Theo's history raw meat is the thing to do at the moment. They want to give him panacur, I think it treats a number of parasites. I too think we need to get the bloody diarrhea under control first. The thing is, he's already had two rounds of Metronidazole and it works and he is ok and has normal stools for a few weeks then we are right back at square one. I was looking at posts here and notes I have written. He's had this before in the past, two times to be exact. Each time, he's had Metronidazole and its gone away..this time it is persisting. I am trying not to freak out but its so hard not too! Theo has a file opened at Ste-Hyacinthe already for his back issues, I am wondering if I should call and talk to someone there too. This is terrible, I've really used up any savings I have, and I mean everything!!! Lets just say that the dogs are eating much better than I am. I've been at the vets at least twice a month since January, all the meds, both dogs on different foods, its costing me a fortune, and now Mika has to go get the lump checked, and this problem is back with Theo and I have no one that can help me out a bit. My vet doesn't do payment plans, ever!! Not even for good clients like myself that have always paid what is owed on the spot and I have been a client for 9 years now. I really like them there but I wish they'd give me a break. I keep trying to tell myself that yes there is something going on but its not life threatening because all his blood tests, and the pancreas test and stool test came back normal. Everything is functioning and working, his blood work was great she said. BUT blood in the stool freaks the heck out of me..I think he has discomfort at times because his tummy grumbles, he has gas, and the stool smells bad when he has diarrhea..I know when his tummy is bugging him, he will get up and go lay near my pillow...he only does this when his tummy is bugging him and I know its coming because he will get up right after than and have
    diarrhea.. :(

Thanks

I'm so sorry. I wish I had some great suggestions but have none. amd prayers.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.