Thread: Probiotics

Thanks

Default Probiotics

Does anyone know of a good probiotic other than Forti Flora?? Theo's had been on so many meds since January, lots of cortisone and antibiotics and de-wormers, etc that his immune system is really low. I think he has demodex again..its not as bad as when he was a pup..only on his face so I am taking him to the vets...again!! I am so tired of this..there is always something going on with him and we both need a break from it all. I was reading that a good probiotic would help. I also read that if the gut is in bad shape (he had all that trouble with his gut in March-June) that demodex can rear its ugly face since 80% of their immune system is their gut. Don't know if this is true or not but I've got to do something. Florti flora is 1.50 a packet and he needs one a day so long term this is expensive was wondering if there was something else out there he could take.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

There used to be a thing I used called ProGut which was wonderful, and a lot cheaper than FortifFlora. Apparently they still make it http://www.progutplus.ca/index.php. see if your vet can get it (I'm not sure if it's OTC or not...I always got it from Laura.)
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

It is true that most of the immune functions is in the gut (people and dogs). I know when my immune system is down I'm susceptible to a lot of chronic stuff like my dermatitis so it makes sense that dogs would be also.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Paula, I'll ask the vet about it. Web site says can only purchase it from a licensed vet, not OTC.

Thanks

You want expensive, look up VSL#3

Anything is better then nothing if he has gut issues. Even Greek Yogurt would be good given his size. Maybe just a month of a good probiotic and then switch him out to yogurt for maintenance?

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow!! Sure is expensive!! You mentioned once a long time ago in a post about a good probiotic you get at Walmart but I can not remember the name of it!! Forti-flora is good but I've got both dogs on different foods and with all the vet bills and tests I did since March I can't afford it. I know Greek Yogurt is good but I read something about no dairy with Demodex, not sure why, something about yeast?