Thanks

Default I am a rotten mom

I had an appointment to get Savannah's teeth cleaned on Monday, and I just cancelled it. Her breath isn't offensive, and though she has some tartar built up, it's really not that horrid...

I don't know what made me decide not to get this done. I know it's a preventive measure, and she is 3 1/2, but I just had a bad bad feeling about it.

There is nothing that made me think rationally that she might have any problems, but I just had a bad feeling.

Am I being silly?
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Nope. If she doesn't need it right now, why do it? Listening to your gut is never a bad idea .
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

My 12-year-old girls have had one dental, and Cassie came out of that with chronic respiratory issues, so no, I don't think there is anything wrong with your decision. Especially if it doesn't feel right to you right now.

*disclaimer: I am not advocating not getting dentals, especially in dogs prone to bad teeth. My girls just happen to have amazing un-dachshund-like teeth. Strangely enough, our current vets do not push them. The old place would have probably done one every 6 months if we'd let them
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I don't do regular dentals either for a variety of reasons, one of which is that 2 of my 3 dogs have heart murmurs. If she doesn't need it, why take the risk of putting her under anesthesia? (And it is a risk)
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

She could use one, but we are not to the point of NEED (as in eyes watering when she kisses me!)

And I guess different vets have different thoughts on this procedure. Some, like Kim said, would probably do one every six months, while others only do it if your eyes water.

I appreciate the support. I just didn't want to risk the anesthesia...
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Maxe literally needed one every year because her teeth were atrocious. Alex only ever had 2 in her life, and one of those was because she cracked a tooth on her nylabone.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

go with your gut and you are NOT a bad Mom . Rusty had his very first dental this spring and he is now 9 years old (September) He never needed one. Even my vet (the old one and now new) agreed! We decided to finally get one done because he was starting to get some tarter built up. Baxter is 8 this Dec and he has yet to have one. He chews bones 24/7 (almost) and has pearly white teeth and no bad breath. Odie on the other hand has had 3 since we got him. He has sewer breath all the time. Vet said its due to poor nutrition from past owners and that some dogs just have bad yucky mouths. Hes also had 4 teeth removed. Really if I could afford it, he should probably get a dental once every couple months his mouth is that bad.
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

Always trust your gut. Pixel has had one in 12 years, and Pogo has had 2 (one was due to a fracture). As long as the vet can look in her mouth and make sure there is no real need, you are good.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post: