Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Tristan's were chronically enlarged, too . You're doing the right thing to get them checked, though! Sending lots of rayz for your cutie and his worried mom . Please keep us updated!
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

What did the vet say?

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Default Update on our vet appointment...

Well we went to the vet and let's just say I don't like the answer I got so I am going to a different vet tonight to get a second opinion. The vet I go to actually gave me Bruno in 2006 after someone dumped him off. So I've always continued to go there and have had pretty much a good experience with them until this past year. When my ferret got sick a couple months ago the new vet who just started working there took on the case. He seemed like he was guessing alot. I know that when ferrets have Adrenal Disease and cancer AND enlarged spleens there are alot of questions still lingering and nothing is guaranteed. So we put him on steroids and made him comfortable but there were things that were happening that the vet didn't have answers for that made me wonder if my ferret had progressed into the cancer farther than we thought. Such as green coming out of him where he pee'd from. He had no answer for it when I brought him in...assured me he wasn't suffering yet...he could have another 6 months in him. Three days later my little Stu passed away in his sleep. I know I did everything I could for him...but I still wonder if he suffered those last few days.

Anyhoo last night was my first experience bringing Bruno to see him. And again I feel like I left without any definite answers...just guessing. He felt the sides of his necks...was able to verify what I was feeling...and agreed with me that it could be his salivary glands and not his lymph nodes but because they are in the same area anatomically speaking he wasn't quite sure either. So I asked him if he wanted to do any bloodwork or aspirate the area (as I read online was typical protocal when unsure) and he said no. He felt the other areas of his body where other lymph nodes are found and said they were all normal. I agree with that because I myself had done a full body check on him and didn't find anything either that was swollen elsewhere. But I asked him to do bloodwork and he said no and he said he didn't want to aspirate those questionable glands because he looked nervous. He said he needs a dental cleaning so we scheduled that for the end of next month where they will do pre op blood work a couple days before and he will recheck his nodes then.

Well here is my problem...I don't like not having a definite answer. I don't want to wait four weeks to learn it's something serious that could have been treated 4weeks earlier for a better prognosis. I've heard lymphoma acts fast. How does he not know the difference between nodes and salivary glands? Shouldn't he? So I just feel more comfortable having a second opinion done tonight somewhere else. I will not risk my baby's health for anyone or anything and especially because I just have this weird feeling inside about it. Could be just my nerves from this whole thing but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I will keep everyone updated and thank you all for your support!

Thanks

Second opinion sounds good.

There are also sites that let you rate your vet. I would go through them with your zip code and see which practices have the highest rating and read the comments.

Good luck, follow your gut!!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

What is the reason they are chronically enlarged?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Absolutely follow your gut. If you don't trust your vet, time for a new one!! And ITA, he SHOULD know the difference between salivary glands and lymph nodes. A second opinion is definitely in order here...it's probably nothing serious, but your peace of mind is worth it!!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

A second opinion is always a good idea especially if you have doubts. But also realize that you aren't always going to get a firm answer. And if you do, it could be wrong. I understand that you are afraid after your prior experience, but diagnosing animals is extremely hard because they can't tell us where it hurts of what is going on. That being said, the vet you went to doesn't sound too sure of himself. I'd definitely get another opinion.

If I were you, I would get the dental done now. The start of an abscess or infection in his teeth could be causing his gland to swell. If the infection is in his teeth his glands in his neck would be the ones affected.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I will also throw in my two cents and say they should have done the aspiration and blood work yesterday. Take him to another vet. It only takes a few days from the time the aspiration is sent to the pathologist to hear back fairly conclusively whether it is lymphoma or not. With lymphoma, time is of the essence in its diagnosis. Untreated, lymphoma can kill in around two months. With swollen lymph nodes, the cause should be aggressively sought out. Catching lymphoma early and getting chemo started will greatly increase the survival and quality/quantity of life. I know you are worried that is it lymphoma, and if it is, it is not necessarily a death sentence. Lymphoma is very responsive to chemo. I have been through it and know what you are feeling right now, and to top it off your Bruno looks like my Dumbledore, who is the one that did have lymphoma. Get Bruno to another vet and get them to check his teeth, do the blood work, and aspiration, and don't be satisfied until they do.
    Keeper of the Hogwarts Crew,
    Dumbledore , Draco, Bellatrix (Bella), and Minerva (Minny)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RDavidP View Post
    I will also throw in my two cents and say they should have done the aspiration and blood work yesterday. Take him to another vet. It only takes a few days from the time the aspiration is sent to the pathologist to hear back fairly conclusively whether it is lymphoma or not. With lymphoma, time is of the essence in its diagnosis. Untreated, lymphoma can kill in around two months. With swollen lymph nodes, the cause should be aggressively sought out. Catching lymphoma early and getting chemo started will greatly increase the survival and quality/quantity of life. I know you are worried that is it lymphoma, and if it is, it is not necessarily a death sentence. Lymphoma is very responsive to chemo. I have been through it and know what you are feeling right now, and to top it off your Bruno looks like my Dumbledore, who is the one that did have lymphoma. Get Bruno to another vet and get them to check his teeth, do the blood work, and aspiration, and don't be satisfied until they do.
    How old was Dumbledore when he was diagnosed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lala25 View Post
    How old was Dumbledore when he was diagnosed?
    Dumbledore was 8.5 years old, but I am afraid his story does not end well. I also know of many other dogs who were getting treatments along with Dumbleodore that continue to fight on and live a long happy life. With that I will say, try to put the thought of lymphoma out of mind until you get a diagnosis either way. Prepare yourself, learn your options, but don't get too hung up on it. It won't do you any good. Right now concentrate on finding a vet that will aggressively seek out the cause of the swollen lymph nodes, and then go from there.

Typically lymphoma affects middle age to older dogs, with dachshunds placed on the list of those with a statistically lower risk of lymphoma.
    Keeper of the Hogwarts Crew,
    Dumbledore , Draco, Bellatrix (Bella), and Minerva (Minny)