Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Bandit was a very good patient and rarely fussed in the crate even though she had not often been crated before her back problems. Bogart, however, was VERY vocal I actually think it's a good sign that he lays on his back. Mine did not want to lay on their backs for a while after having back issues so maybe that means he's feeling good? IDK, but I agree that startling him would be much worse. I'd just let him be.

The stroller is really a help. I wish I'd known about strollers when Amanda and Bandit had problems. It would have really helped. I did all the lifting with both of them and, ouch, did my back know it. You'll love using the stroller and he probably will, too.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Just a quick update on Theo! We are 5 weeks done today!! Starting week 6 of crate rest! He is doing so well, and I see such a difference in him. Going to get him to do some physio with me as he has lost some muscle in the back legs. He is such a good patient, never complains. So very proud of him. He is off the steroids and Tramadol since last week and only on the Gabapentin now. Going to reduce that next week from twice a day, to once a day.

Thanks

GREAT news!!!!!

Loving my Elliott,
    Gina

Thanks

Sounds like he is doing wonderfully.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

Thank you for the Wonderful update! Happy to hear he is doing well.
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Great update! You've done such a good job with him!
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

That sounds great!

I agree, it sounds fine to let him lie on his back if he is comfortable.

Twisting always worries me... more than jumping, even. But honestly in my opinion is if the disc is going to go, it's going to go - jumping, twisting, sneezing, scratching, running, whatever trigger finally pushes a damaged disc a little too far. We try to minimize the chances when we reasonably can, of course. But short of encasing them in a full-body cast, we cannot 100% prevent injury.

And they do need to move around (once off crate rest, of course), because that is how they develop the support muscles that prevent injury.

Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceangirls View Post
    That sounds great!

I agree, it sounds fine to let him lie on his back if he is comfortable.

Twisting always worries me... more than jumping, even. But honestly in my opinion is if the disc is going to go, it's going to go - jumping, twisting, sneezing, scratching, running, whatever trigger finally pushes a damaged disc a little too far. We try to minimize the chances when we reasonably can, of course. But short of encasing them in a full-body cast, we cannot 100% prevent injury.

And they do need to move around (once off crate rest, of course), because that is how they develop the support muscles that prevent injury.

I know, the twisting worries me as well. After what we have gone through the first few weeks, I have stopped worrying about "what if's" and have been concentrating more on how to simply prevent incidents the best I can. He loves laying on his back, so I let him. Sprawls out in his crate, legs spread wide open and sleeps like that, often. He is such a character!! You are right, we can not prevent injury 100% but I am going to do my very best and hope this never happens again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Excellent update!!! And you're right...they still need to be dogs and do dog stuff, within reason. More and ...almost there!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Awesome update! You have to let them be dogs, with safety always in mind, as much as possible. Keep up the good work!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.