Doxie Lovers Club

Go Back   Doxie Lovers Club > Doxie Stuff > Medical Wellness

Old 07-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Little Wiener

Default Swollen Lymph Nodes in the neck area =(

Last night I was petting Bruno before bed and noticed a squooshy lump on the side of his neck behind the jaw. I felt the other side and same thing. I can like move them around a little and they feel to be the size of dried apricots but squooshy. I called the vet today and we are going in after work to find out if I'm feeling swollen lymph nodes. The vet said they sound too large to be mistaken for the salivary glands. I made the mistake of googling this and now I'm nervous as all heck because all I keep reading about his lymphoma =(. I don't seem to find any other swollen nodes on his body just on both sides of his neck. Can anyone offer up any advice or insight on this? I'm one worried momma right now!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:55 PM
mahjong Champion, Solitare Slingo Champion, Beach Party Slots Champion, Mahjongg Solitaire Champion, Extreme Crossword 2 Champion, Word Rush Champion, Word Drop 2 Champion, Mahjong Solitaire Challenge Champion

Swollen lymph glands can be a lot of things. Usually they signify that there is an infection present. The glands will swell when they are fighting off infection. I had a really bad sinus infection last spring and had very swollen lymph glands on both sides of my neck. I'm glad you're taking him to the vet. It's likely something minor, but you don't want to take the chance.

Update us when you can, okay?

Dachshund Rescue of Houston
Old 07-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Administrator
Chopper Challenge Champion, Alchemy Champion, Jewel Champion, Curveball Champion, Lightning Pool Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Tadpole Champion, Solitare Champion, Sandwich Stacker Champion, Red and Blue Champion, Pente 2 Champion, Tic Tac Toe Champion, Froggster Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, Bubble Wrap Large Champion, Simpsons Snow Fight Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Eskiv Champion, Bugz Champion, Helicopter Champion, Mumu Champion, Yeti Sports 7: Snowboard Free Ride Champion, Yeti Sports 8: Jungle Swing Champion, Yeti Sports: Yeti Puzzle Kick Champion, Candy Corner Champion, Speed Collapse Champion, Mario Mushroom Match Champion, Save Fiona Champion, GF Sponsor Bowling Champion

I know it is hard not to panic, but wait until you see the vet. Your vet most likely will need to take a sample and send it off for testing if he / she has any concerns.

I am sending lots and lots of rayz that is nothing serious.

..POGO....PIXEL.....PíNUT....PEPSI
Old 07-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Little Wiener

Thank you...I'm hoping someone on here might have been through something similiar where it didn't end up being cancer. Everything I find online is very depressing about lymphoma and a quick end =(. I really don't know what I'd do without my dog I don't even want to think about it but now I can't help it I'm so nervous! I am praying so hard it's something treatable and minor you have no idea. Alot of the things I have read about people finding this problem say that the glands were harder and grape size. I really felt silly and asked my vet if I was mistaking his lymph nodes for his salivary glands which would be awesome but he doesn't think so...either way we are getting checked and I'll update as soon as I can!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Cocktail Wiener
The Great Poop Shoot Champion

I know exactly what you are feeling right now. I have been through the "what is it" phase of a swollen lymph node, and waiting for the results is tough. Many and
Old 07-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Cocktail Wiener
The Great Poop Shoot Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala25 View Post
squooshy.
My Dumbledore had lymphoma and swollen neck lymph nodes were the first sign. His lymph nodes did not feel exactly squooshy, there was a little fleshy feeling and give when you first started to squeeze them but then the rest was hard mass.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Kielbasa
Simon Champion, Suduko Champion, Starcastle Champion, 7UP Pinball Champion

I think many of us self diagnosis using the internet. Its not a good thing to do because as you said, we fill our minds with too much info, and info that probably has nothing to do with what is actually going on. I have done it tons of times, even for myself and was scared out of my mind. So, as hard as it is try to calm down, and you shall get some answers from the vet. The right answers.
Sending for Bruno and calming for you.
Let us know as soon as you can.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Hexxagon Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Jigsaw Puzzle Champion, Othello Champion, Yeti Sports 3: Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion

James' lymph glands swell up with allergies quite often, and feel like you're describing. It could be lymphoma, but it could be other stuff too, including a cold or sinus infection. The internet is a good place to get info, but as Laura always says to me (as I'm panicking about something ) for lay people, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing . Wait to see what your vet says, and we're anxiously waiting to hear too. Tons of coming at you.

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Last edited by lotsadox; 07-25-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:31 PM
mahjong Champion, Solitare Slingo Champion, Beach Party Slots Champion, Mahjongg Solitaire Champion, Extreme Crossword 2 Champion, Word Rush Champion, Word Drop 2 Champion, Mahjong Solitaire Challenge Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Mom View Post
James' lymph glands swell up with allergies quite often, and feel like you're describing. It could be lymphoma, but it could be other stuff too, including a cold or sinus infection. The internet is a good place to get info, but as Laura always says to me (as I'm panicking about something ) for lay people, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing . Wait to see what your vet says, and we're anxiously waiting to hear too. Tons of coming at you.
My lymph glands swell up with allergies, too. And Bogart had swollen glands once from something minor. I can't remember now what it was.

Dachshund Rescue of Houston
Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Pepperoni
Magic Ball Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Once an e-vet told me Sofie's lymph nodes were too big. My regular vet said it is not uncommon for small dogs to have slightly enlarged nodes.

But I would of course have them checked out. Just for your peace of mind.